Designation: Senior Consultant ENT Surgeon
Language spoken: English, Mandarin
Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital
Mount Elizabeth Hospital
Mount Alvernia Hospital
Farrer Park Hospital
Barrie Tan ENT Head & Neck Surgery
6A Napier Road
#03-32A/B Annexe Block
Mon-Fri: 08.30AM - 05:30PM
Sat: 08:30AM - 1:00PM
Sun : Closed
Public Holiday : Closed
With his experience as Head of the SGH ENT Department (the largest ENT department in Singapore) for over 6 years, Dr Barrie Tan possesses a wealth of ENT experience at the highest level. Over the years he has developed a keen proficiency for diagnosing and managing the entire range of ENT conditions including the following:
1. Nose and Sinus problems: eg.Allergic Rhinitis, Sinusitis, Nasal Polyps, Loss of Smell, Nasal Bone Fractures and Trauma, Nose Bleeds and Nasal Obstruction.
2. Sleep Disorders:eg. Snoring and Obstructive Sleep Apnea
3. Throat disorders: eg.Acute and Recurrent Tonsillitis, Voice problems, Gastro-esophageal reflux disease and Swallowing difficulties
4. Ear related disorders: Hearing Loss, Giddiness, Tinnitus, Ear Discharge, Ear Itch, Ear Pain, Ear Infections, Ear Tumours
5. Head and Neck Tumours and Lumps: eg. Thyroid Nodules, Enlarged Lymph Nodes, Parotid and Submandibular Tumours
Dr Barrie Tan manages patients of all ages, including and especially young children with various ENT problems. This stems from his experience in Singapore General Hospital, where from 2012-2019, he was the only surgeon that routinely and regularly operated on paediatric patients in SGH. He very routinely sees many infants and babies, often as young as a few days old and has operated frequently on children as young as 1 years old both locally as well as overseas in Indonesia, Vietnam and Bangladesh.
Dr Tan is most well known for his Ear Surgeries and for his expertise in treating Hearing Loss. He completed the prestigious Otology,Neurotology and Skull Base Surgery Fellowship at the Ear Science Institute Australia, performing numerous complex ear surgeries, cochlear implantations and other hearing implant surgeries independently during his surgical fellowship.
Professional Positions and Memberships:
• Current President Elect of the ASEAN Federation of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology (ENT) Head & Neck Surgery Societies (2017 – present)
• Past President of the Society of Otolaryngology (ENT) Head and Neck Surgery Singapore from 2017-2019.
• Current Secretary-General of the ASEAN Academy of Neuro-Oto-Audiology (2015-present).
• Current Executive Board Member of the ASIA-OCEANIA Association of Otolaryngology Societies (2019-2027).
• Current Board member of the Chapter of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology (ENT), College of Surgeons, Academy of Medicine Singapore (2017-2021).
• Current Special advisor on Otolaryngology (ENT) to and Member of the Civil Aviation Medical Board (2014-2024)
• Current Visiting Consultant (Otolaryngology) to the Singapore Armed Forces (2016-2021)
In these various leadership roles, he represents the ENT specialists to advocate for better patient care and also to spearhead the adoption of the latest surgical and technological advances in the care of ENT Conditions.
Dr Barrie Tan was a President’s Scholar (1994) and was the top student in his cohort at the National University of Singapore Medical School, winning the Gibb’s Gold Medal for being the overall top student in general proficiency. Reflecting his consistently excellent scholastic performance, he was the only student of his cohort to win the Dean’s List award every single year of the 5 year undergraduate course.
Qualifications: M.B.,B.S. (Singapore), MMed (ORL), FAMS (ORL)
Dr Barrie Tan has been successful in creating innovative models of teamwork and care for patients. In 2014, he co-founded the Singhealth-Duke NUS Head and Neck Centre. From 2014-2018, Dr Barrie Tan served as the Deputy Head of the Singhealth-Duke NUS Head and Neck Centre. In this capacity, he oversaw the development of multidisciplinary Head and Neck Surgery capabilities and coordination of care of complex Head and Neck conditions in the various Singhealth hospitals and institutions. Dr Barrie Tan himself is proficient in the management and surgeries for thyroid nodules, neck lumps, lymph nodes and saliva gland tumours.
Dr Barrie Tan also has a passion in building clinical teams. He began and developed the new Ear, Nose and Throat Surgery Department in Sengkang General Hospital. He was the pro-tem Head, Department of Otolaryngology (ENT), Sengkang General Hospital from 2013-2018, whilst concurrently being the Head, Department of Otolaryngology (ENT), Singapore General Hospital.
Awards and Publications
From 2012-2014, he was the Program Director of the largest ENT Residency Program in Singapore, the Singhealth ENT Residency Training Program. During this time, he oversaw the successful accreditation of the Singhealth Program for the longest accreditation duration of 4 years awarded by the ACGME-I (American College of Graduate Medical Education- International). Since stepping down from the Program Directorship, he now serves as a member of the Singapore National ENT Residency Advisory Committee, which oversees all 3 ENT Residency programs in Singapore.
He was also the Conference President of the 6th ASEAN Academy of Neuro-Oto-Audiology (AANOA) Congress held in Singapore in November 2016. He was also the Scientific Program Chairperson of the 7th Asia Pacific Symposium on Cochlear Implants and Related Sciences (APSCI) held in Singapore in December 2009.