Privacy Statement for the Dependants' Protection Scheme ("DPS") Administered by Great Eastern
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This Privacy Statement applies only in relation to any personal data handled by the Great Eastern group of companies (including The Great Eastern Life Assurance Company Limited, Great Eastern General Insurance Limited and Great Eastern Financial Advisers Private Limited and their respective related corporations) (collectively, the "Great Eastern") in respect of any Dependants' Protection Scheme ("DPS") policy administered by Great Eastern. For our Privacy Statement applicable to other policies or relationships we may have with you, please refer to http://www.greateasternlife.com/sg/en/pncpolicies.htm.
Great Eastern recognises its obligations under the Singapore Personal Data Protection Act (No. 26 of 2012) including only collecting, using or disclosing personal data for the purposes for which an individual has given consent to.
For the purposes of this Privacy Statement, the personal data collected by Great Eastern includes all personal data provided in any document provided, or to be provided to us by you or your insured persons or from other sources, for the purpose of any insurance application or transaction under the DPS. It includes all personal data for us to evaluate or administer any application or transaction under the DPS. For example, if you have opted out of DPS cover and are applying to rejoin DPS, in addition to the personal data provided in the application form, your personal data will also include any subsequent personal data we collect on your health or financial situation, or any personal data that is necessary for us to decide whether to insure and on what terms to insure, such as test results, medical examination results, and health records from medical practitioners or other insurance companies. We may also collect personal data whenever you interact with us in connection with your DPS policy.
This DPS Privacy Statement applies only in relation to any personal data collected in respect of any DPS Policy administered by Great Eastern. You may not alter any of the wordings in this DPS Privacy Statement. Any attempt to do so will be of no effect.
1. Purposes of the Collection, Use and Disclosure of Your Personal Data
1.1 Great Eastern collects, uses and discloses your personal data for the purposes of:
- responding to, processing and handling your queries, complaints, feedback and requests relating to your application or policy under DPS;
- enrolling you as our DPS policyholder;
- using your telephone number(s) to contact you from time to time in order to take your instructions, and/or provide you with information, updates, or recommendations relating to your application or policy under DPS
- communicating with you (including by way of telephone calls) in relation to your DPS policy and informing you of updates to the policy benefits, terms and conditions and providing administrative information, including for the purposes of servicing you;
- reinsuring risks with other insurers relating to your application or policy under DPS;
- administering, maintaining, managing and operating your coverage under DPS;
- underwriting DPS policy risks and facilitating underwriting and reviewing claims history, whether with Great Eastern or otherwise;
- collecting premiums and debt collection relating to your application or policy under DPS;
- assessing and processing of any claims and payments arising under your DPS policy including by requesting from hospitals and clinics information such as your medical reports and blood test results
- managing the administrative and business operations of Great Eastern (including its related corporations) and complying with internal policies and procedures;
- facilitating business asset transactions (which may extend to any merger, acquisition or asset sale) involving Great Eastern and / or its related corporations;
- matching any Personal Data held which relates to you for any of the purposes listed herein;
- analysing and/or aggregating Personal Data held by any of the Companies from time to time for statistical, profiling, product research, design and development, understanding customer needs, requirements and preferences, reviewing market trends and demands, and developing and improving the quality and features of any of the Companies' products and services;
- preventing, detecting and investigating crime, including fraud and money-laundering, and analyzing and managing commercial risks;
- handling and managing legal claims, actions or proceedings, and protecting and enforcing our contractual and legal rights and obligations; and/or
- compliance with any applicable rules, laws and regulations, codes of practice or guidelines or to assist in law enforcement and investigations by relevant authorities.
2. Disclosure of Personal Data
2.1 We may disclose personal data relating to your DPS policy for the purposes set out above to the following parties:
- Great Eastern's related corporations;
- companies providing services relating to insurance and/or reinsurance to Great Eastern;
- where relevant, loss adjusters, private investigators, hospitals or clinics in connection with the underwriting of policy risks or claims;
- associations of insurance companies, including the Life Insurance Association Singapore and the General Insurance Association Singapore;
- agents, contractors or third party service providers who provide operational services to Great Eastern, such as telecommunications, information technology, payment, payroll, processing, training, market research, storage, archival or other services to Great Eastern;
- vendors or other third party service providers in connection with products and services offered by Great Eastern;
- Credit Bureau (Singapore), or in the event of default or disputes, any debt collection agencies or dispute resolution centres such as the Financial Industry Disputes Resolution Centre Ltd;
- your family, relatives, appointed executors and their professional advisers in connection with your will(s) or the administration of your estate;
- any business partner, investor, assignee or transferee (actual or prospective) to facilitate business asset transactions (which may extend to any merger, acquisition or asset sale) involving Great Eastern and / or its related corporations;
- our professional advisers such as our auditors and lawyers;
- relevant government regulators or authority or law enforcement agency to comply with any laws, rules and regulations or schemes imposed by any governmental authority such as the Monetary Authority of Singapore, the Ministry of Manpower, the Ministry of Health and the Central Provident Fund Board; and
- any other party to whom you authorise us to disclose your personal data to.
2.2 Neither Great Eastern nor any of its officers shall be liable for any loss or damage suffered by you or any user as a result of any disclosure of any personal data which you have consented to Great Eastern and/or any of its officers disclosing.
3. Consent for Collection, Use or Disclosure
- By applying for or being enrolled on the Dependants' Protection Scheme with Great Eastern, you consent to Great Eastern:
- collecting, using, disclosing and/or processing your personal data for the purposes described above; and
- transferring the personal data mentioned above to the third parties specified above, for the purposes described above.
4. Consequences of Withdrawing Consent to the Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Data
You may refuse to give, or may withdraw, your consent for us to collect, use or disclose your personal data and your insured persons' personal data by giving us reasonable notice so long as there are no legal or contractual restrictions preventing you from doing so. For example, you may withdraw your consent for your personal data to be used for marketing purposes. This withdrawal will not affect our ability to provide you with the products and services that you asked for or have with us.
However, if you withdraw your consent for us to use your personal data for your insurance matters (matters relating to the servicing and administration of your insurance policy) this will affect our ability to provide you with the products and services that you asked for or have with us, including preventing us from keeping your insurance cover in force or properly assessing and processing your claim. Withdrawing such consent may result in the termination of your DPS policy with us. This may be disadvantageous to you, as you may lose valuable benefits from the policy and/or it may not be possible for you to obtain a similar level of protection on the same terms in the future.
5. Contacting Us – Withdrawal of Consent, Access and Correction of your Personal Data
5.1 If you:
- have any questions or feedback relating to your personal data or this DPS Privacy Statement;
- would like to withdraw your consent to any use of your personal data as set out in this DPS Privacy Statement; or
- would like to obtain access and make corrections to your personal data records
please contact Great Eastern as follows:
Call: 1800 248 2888
Data Protection Officer
Data Protection & Governance Office
1 Pickering Street #01-01
Great Eastern Centre