Q15: Who can purchase TravelSmart Premier?
In order to qualify for travel insurance from Great Eastern, you must meet the following criteria:
• You are a Singaporean or Singapore Permanent Resident; or foreigner with a valid Employment Pass, Work Permit, Dependant’s Pass, Student’s Pass or Long Term Social Visit Pass residing in Singapore.
• You are at least 18 years old at the time of purchase (only required if you are the applicant).
• You are not travelling contrary to the advice of a qualified medical practitioner or for the purpose of obtaining medical treatment.
• You bought the policy before you leave Singapore on your trip.
Q16: What is the difference between TravelSmart Premier Basic, Classic and Elite Plans?
The differences are in the policy features and maximum amounts payable per person per trip in the event of a claim. For the best cover and highest protection, we suggest you choose Elite plan. You can view the travel policy document and compare the amounts payable for each of the policy features, to help you choose a suitable plan.
Q17: Who is considered Family under TravelSmart Premier?
For Single Trip Policies, Family means:
• An adult and/or his/her spouse and unlimited number of biological or legally adopted children; or
• One (1) or two (2) adults who are not related by marriage and a maximum of four (4) children who must be at least family related (i.e. biological or legally adopted child or ward, sibling, grandchild, niece, nephew or cousin) to any one of the adults; and
All insured persons under the Single Trip Family Cover must depart from and return back to Singapore together at the same time as a Family.
For Annual Multi-Trip Policies, Family means:
• An adult and/or his/her spouse and unlimited number of biological or legally adopted children; and
• The insured persons under the family cover are not required to travel together on a journey. However, child insured person under the age of ten (10) years must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian for any trip made during the period of insurance.
Q18: What do I indicate as the Period of Insurance?
You will need to indicate the start date and end date of your trip for the Period of Insurance. The start and end date will be based on Singapore time.
• Start date: The date you are departing from Singapore (e.g. If you are departing from Singapore on 04 Dec 2020 23:50, you should indicate the Start Date as 04 Dec 2020).
• End date: The date you are arriving in Singapore (e.g. If you are arriving in Singapore on 05 Dec 2020 00:30, you should indicate the End Date as 05 Dec 2020).
Q19: Can I purchase TravelSmart Premier for my child who is traveling on a student exchange program or field trip?
Yes, child below 18 years old can apply for any plans under an individual cover, provided the proposal is made in the parent or adult guardian's name.
Child below 10 years old must be accompanied by an adult (parent or guardian) for the entire trip.
Please note that child benefits apply.
Q20: Can I purchase travel insurance if I am already overseas?
No, you will need to purchase your travel insurance before setting off for your overseas trip from Singapore. We strongly encourage you to purchase early before departure as our travel insurance provides pre-journey coverage as well.
Q21: If I have pre-existing illness, can I still purchase travel insurance?
Yes, you may still buy the policy. However, please note that the policy does not cover any loss, damage or liability directly or indirectly arising as a result of any pre-existing medical condition. For more information, please refer to your policy documents.
Q22: I will be travelling to more than two countries and will be back to Singapore before flying to the next country (e.g. Singapore > Bangkok > Singapore > Seoul> Singapore). Can I purchase one single trip policy for the entire journey in this case?
Sounds like a great trip! In this case, you will need to buy 2 separate single trip policies because the coverage for a single trip policy ends when you return to Singapore. Alternatively if you travel more than 3 times a year, an annual policy would be recommended as your insurance costs will be considerably cheaper compared to buying a single trip travel policy each and every time.
Q23: I’m travelling to more than one country during my trip. Can I still get a policy?
Yes, please select all destinations on your itinerary.
Q24: If I am travelling overseas to seek medical treatment, can I take up travel insurance?
Our policy covers people who are travelling overseas for business or for holiday. It is not intended to cover people who are travelling to seek medical treatment.
Q25: If I am only travelling one-way, will I be able to purchase travel insurance?
Yes, please select one-way trip. Your cover will cease when you arrive at your place of residence or workplace in the destination country within 4 days, or 3 hours after you have cleared immigration in the destination country, whichever is earlier.
Q26: Does the policy cover business travel?
Yes. Your policy will cover you for business travel except for
• any loss, damage or liability arising as a result of manual or hazardous work;
• travel relating to your job as a licensed tour guide or staff of a travel agency;
• you taking part in naval, military, air force, civil defence or police training, duties, services or operations.
For more information, please refer to the policy document.