Great Eastern launches GREAT CareShield disability insurance plans and works with artistes with disabilities for its latest Live #Lifeproof brand films
SINGAPORE, 19 October 2020 – Leading life insurer Great Eastern today unveiled three new brand films in its latest campaign - Live #Lifeproof with GREAT CareShield – to throw the spotlight on the topic of disability.
This latest instalment of its overarching Live #Lifeproof campaign, delivers inspirational key messages of self-belief, positivity and resilience – “our disabilities don’t define us, our dreams do” - through its collaboration with four artistes to showcase their passion for music and filmmaking in spite of their disabilities. The nationwide campaign will be rolled out on multiple platforms – digital, television and out-of-home - from now until November 2020.
Through the films, conceptualised together with creative agency BLKJ, Great Eastern infuses positivity into the topic, and by so doing, hopes to encourage people to take proactive action and forward planning to protect against the unforeseen, such as disability and illness.
#The Lifeproof Crew shows how the four artistes overcome their disabilities and showcases their creative work behind-the-scenes to produce a music video. The second film features a Great Eastern financial representative sharing his personal story on overcoming the challenges of his disability, while Undefeatable rounds up the campaign showcasing a resounding performance that captures the crew’s indomitable #Lifeproof spirit.
The films launch Great Eastern’s new CareShield Life supplementary plans - aimed at providing enhanced protection and financial support for people who proactively seek insurance solutions to manage long-term care expenses in the event of disability, often caused by accidents or unexpected onset of illness.
GREAT CareShield Advantage and GREAT CareShield Enhanced are two new disability insurance plans which offer customers monthly payouts of up to S$5,0001 if unable to perform at least 2 activities of daily living2 (ADLs) upon any unforeseen accidents or illnesses. A unique benefit of the GREAT CareShield Advantage plan is the lump sum payable upon the inability to perform at least 1 ADL3, and this benefit is potentially payable again4, thereby giving greater peace of mind to customers.
Colin Chan, Managing Director for Group Marketing, Great Eastern said: “As an appointed insurer by the Ministry of Health, we offer supplementary plans to enhance the Government’s CareShield Life scheme just announced. We felt that the topic of disability should be discussed positively, and that this was a refreshing perspective. Unforeseen disabilities (whether severe or mild) can cause financial and emotional distress when you least expect it. In today’s world, it is financially challenging to manage long-term care and daily living costs on a sustainable basis, coupled with worries about continued income in this economy.”
“We are committed as the Life Company to help with our protection plans to enable our customers to be ready for life’s uncertainties. I hope that this campaign helps us embrace and discuss disability more openly, at the same time, a gentle reminder that people can plan ahead so as to Lifeproof their dreams ahead of unforeseen challenging circumstances.
This campaign is our call-out to show that disability does not define one’s identity. Working with the crew to share their dreams through our films has given us a uniquely creative approach to show how the human spirit can rise above unforeseen life-changing situations and that is how they too Live #Lifeproof”, he said.
Zoe Zora, who worked as the set designer for the films and is paraplegic, said: “In mainstream media, we often only see able-bodied people acting like disabled people. This project gave us a chance to highlight our capabilities, work on a real music video and let us execute our vision. It sends a very powerful message and not the usual depressing narrative associated with persons with disabilities. This is the first time I felt that my disability doesn’t stop me from achieving my dreams”.
Long-Term Care & the need for Disability Insurance
With Singaporeans living longer to age 85.4 years in 20405, the costs of long-term care is foreseeably a concern. Based on a National Council of Social Service study, around 1 in 30 Singaporeans aged 18 – 49 are suffering from some form of disability6. Accidents - the top condition for hospitalisation7, can also result in severe disability and incur long-term care costs such as rehabilitative care which can cost up to S$2,300 per month (without subsidy)8.
“We have put great thought into our CareShield Life supplementary plans designed to lifeproof one’s financial future against disability through their benefits. These include monthly payouts for moderate and severe disabilities9, premium waiver10 and a lump sum payout3 for mild disability9. With our customers in mind, we also introduce a feature to provide additional payout coverage for peace of mind to our customers who may be afflicted with subsequent episodes of mild disability, depending on the plan selected”, said Mr Chan.
Customers can buy GREAT CareShield plans through the company’s online platform and its financial representatives. From now to 31 January 2021, customers who buy either GREAT CareShield Advantage or GREAT CareShield Enhanced will enjoy 20% savings off first year premiums11.
For more on #Lifeproof, customers may visit www.TheLifeCompany.sg or contact their financial representatives for more details.
Note to editors:
1. Up to S$5,000 monthly payout is for GREAT CareShield Advantage plan only and depends on premium amount and age of the Life Assured. All payouts are subject to the deferment period. Payouts are payable for as long as the Life Assured suffers from the applicable number of disabilities, up to the Life Assured’s lifetime.
2. Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) refer to: washing, toileting, dressing, feeding, walking or moving around and transferring.
3. Subject to Deferment Period and for GREAT CareShield Advantage only. GREAT CareShield Advantage’s Initial Benefit of up to S$15,000 is payable upon the Life Assured’s inability to perform at least 1 ADL.
4. In the event the Life Assured fully recovers from the disability, the Initial Benefit may be paid again for subsequent episodes of mild disability. However, it is not payable if such subsequent disabilities arise from or are related to the cause of disability(ies) for which there was a previous claim for Initial Benefit.
5. Source: Channel News Asia - https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singaporeans-average-life-expectancy-forecast-to-rise-to-85-4-10834628
6. Source: The Straits Times - https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/prevalence-of-disabilities-in-different-age-groups-revealed
7. Source: Ministry of Health Singapore - https://www.moh.gov.sg/resources-statistics/singapore-health-facts/top-10-conditions-of-hospitalisation
8. Source: MoneySmart - https://blog.moneysmart.sg/family/nursing-homes-singapore/
9. Mild disability means your inability to perform 1 ADL and will require significant assistance from another person when carrying out the activity. Moderate disability means your inability to perform 2 ADLs and will require significant assistance from another person when carrying out the activities. Severe disability means your inability to perform at least 3 ADLs and will require significant assistance from another person when carrying out the activities.
10. Subject to Deferment Period and for as long as the Life Assured continues to suffer from the inability to perform at least 1 ADL.
11. Promotion applies only for minimum annual premium of S$750 per policy. Terms and conditions apply.
About Great Eastern
Founded in 1908, Great Eastern is a well-established market leader and trusted brand in Singapore and Malaysia. With over S$90 billion in assets and more than 8 million policyholders, including 5 million from government schemes, it provides insurance solutions to customers through three successful distribution channels – a tied agency force, bancassurance, and financial advisory firm Great Eastern Financial Advisers. The Group also operates in Indonesia and Brunei and has a presence in China as well as a representative office in Myanmar.
The Great Eastern Life Assurance Company Limited and Great Eastern General Insurance Limited have been assigned the financial strength and counterparty credit ratings of "AA-" by Standard and Poor's since 2010, one of the highest among Asian life insurance companies. Great Eastern's asset management subsidiary, Lion Global Investors Limited, is one of the largest private sector asset management companies in Southeast Asia.
Great Eastern is a subsidiary of OCBC Bank, the longest established Singapore bank, formed in 1932. It is now the second largest financial services group in Southeast Asia by assets and one of the world’s most highly-rated banks, with an Aa1 rating from Moody’s. Recognised for its financial strength and stability, OCBC Bank is consistently ranked among the World’s Top 50 Safest Banks by Global Finance and has been named Best Managed Bank in Singapore by The Asian Banker.
#GreatEasternSG #TheLifeCompany #Lifeproof
VP, Group Corporate Communications
AVP, Group Corporate Communications