4 to 5 granny smith apples (about 400g), peeled, cored and diced
½tsp ground cinnamon
35g rolled oats
35g wholemeal flour
¼ cup almonds, roughly chopped
2tsp flax seeds
35g butter, cut into small cubes and kept chilled
1. In a saucepan, combine apples, sugar, water and cinnamon. Simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes till the apples soften and the liquid becomes syrupy.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the wholemeal flour and rolled oats. Add in the cool cubed butter and rub the butter into the oat and flour mixture to form a crumbly texture. Add sugar, chopped almonds and flax seeds and mix well.
3. Pour the cooked apples into the bottom of a medium sized oven proof dish or divide the mixture evenly into four to five oven proof ramekins.
4. Top the apple mixture with the oatmeal and almond crumbs
5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes till the crumble turns a golden brown. Serve hot.
6. Options: Add fresh berries (sliced strawberries, blueberries) on top of the cooked apples before you add the crumb topping.
Need an idea for the main dish? Our Pasta Tossed in Laksa - Cashew Nut Pesto may just be what you’re looking for!